Duluth XC Announces 2nd Annual Snow Ball Gala and Community Ski Awards
The Duluth Cross Country Ski Club (DXC) is excited to announce its 2nd annual Snow Ball gala fundraiser, which will be held Saturday, February 11th at the Greysolon Ballroom in Duluth. Gala proceeds will support DXC’s Capital Campaign to help ensure the future of cross-country skiing in Duluth by building new ski trails with snowmaking at the Grand Avenue Nordic Center at the bottom of Spirit Mountain.
The Snow Ball gala runs from 5-9:30 pm with an after-party at Black Water Lounge. Our gala features a silent auction and a live auction, as well as a dinnertime program celebrating area individuals for their contributions and accomplishments in cross-country skiing. Auction items include lodging on the North Shore, a lifetime Birkebeiner race pass, sailing charters on Lake Superior, private group dining experiences at local restaurants, items from Ski Hut and Continental Ski & Bike, and more!
Featured speakers at this year’s gala include Don Ness (former Duluth Mayor) and Hansi Johnson (Director of Recreation Land for the Minnesota Land Trust), who will discuss the history of Grand Avenue Nordic Center's development and next steps for the future of Duluth's cross-country ski trails.
Partygoers can purchase a signature DXC mug and receive a complimentary Tom and Jerry’s hot toddy.
Tickets: $80 in advance, with a very limited number of tickets at the door for $100. Online ticket sales end next week on Wednesday, February 8th at 11:59pm. Anyone willing to volunteer at the event will be able to purchase tickets for $30. Tickets can be purchased at: http://www.duluthxc.com/snowball.
Please refer any questions to email@example.com. The public is welcome!
The full slate of awards to be presented at the gala are:
- The George Hovland Award: Awarded at interval to an individual for lifetime commitment and service to cross country skiing in the Duluth area.
- DXC Volunteer of the Year: Awarded to the club’s outstanding volunteer in the last calendar year.
- The Charlie Banks Award: Awarded to the outstanding youth, junior, or high school ski coach in the last calendar year. Named in honor of legendary former Duluth Central ski coach, Charlie Banks.
- The Patrice Jankowski Award: Awarded to the outstanding area female high school or junior cross country skier in the last calendar year. Named in honor of three-time Minnesota state high school champion and 1992 Olympic biathlete, Patrice Jankowski of Cloquet.
- The Mark Herman Award: Awarded to the outstanding area male high school or junior cross country skier in the last calendar year. Named in honor of Minnesota state high school champion and 1982 US Junior World Championship team member, Mark Herman of Duluth East.