Home
Trails
Lodging
Gear
Training
Racing
Notices
Links
skinnyski.com
News
--------
Trail Reports
--------
Weather
--------
Ski Trails
--------
Rollerski Trails
--------
Archives

Sugar Hills
Grand Rapids, MN
Trail Length: 28.0k  Maps: |
Groomed: Skating/Classical    Lighted: No Snowmaking: No
Contact: 800-472-6366    Weather: [ NWS ]  
Notes:   Rated intermediate/expert. Trails wind through hardwood forest with abundant wildlife. Thunder Peak provides an overview of up to 30 miles.

Trail Reports:   2017-2018 season  view previous season     File a new report     Request a new report

1 to 5 of 23    Month: Mar | Feb | Jan | Dec
Wednesday, March 28, 2018  posted: 3/29/2018 4:27:42 PM
Firsthand 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
  The trail has not been groomed in a couple weeks, but we took off from the trailhead in our classic skis and found the skiing to be fun. The underlying base was pretty firm, and the 6" that had fallen a couple days before had melted down to only about 2". The classic skiing on these layers of snow was great until the temperature dropped below freezing, and the top layer became crusty. By that time, we were close enough to the parking lot and simply called it a day.
Photos:  
(Bob Conzemius)
Saturday, March 17, 2018  posted: 3/17/2018 8:48:15 PM
Observation 
[ Trails Open: Most ]
  No further grooming planned to my knowledge. The last grooming was prior to the Spring Loppet on Mar 11. There is still good snow. Some branches, bark debris, and a few bare spots in the sun. Classic tracks look good still overall. Just posting so no one makes a trip expecting something different. Thanks to all the volunteer groomers! It's been a great winter for snow and skiing.
(Philip Imholte)
Friday, March 09, 2018  posted: 3/9/2018 7:43:38 PM
Firsthand 
[ Good skis ]
  Omigosh what great skiing with four busy little skate skiers buzzing up and down the hills! Classic track were firmly set like luge runs but safe and secure on the straight stretches. Skate lane was a little rough as groomers are saving the snow for final grooming before race on Sunday. But the new snow is soft and the bumpy patches are easily avoided. Should be absolutely glorious skiing on Sunday!
(Catherine McLynn)
Wednesday, March 07, 2018  posted: 3/7/2018 1:51:53 PM
Grooming 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
  Set classic track for Sunday's Spring Loppet. I left some of the skate lane ungroomed to save the 1.5" of fresh snow we received on Monday night for a final grooming on Saturday night. The track is 90% full depth and looks good, the other 10 % is 50 to 75% depth. We will make a final pass on the skate lane sometime on Saturday evening or early Sunday morning depending on temps.
Photos:  
(Tony Carter)
Thursday, March 01, 2018  posted: 3/1/2018 11:17:55 AM
Firsthand 
[ Trails Open: All, Good skis ]
  I thought it would be icy this morning, but more often it was soft. The soft, slight ice snow was a good balance and the skiing was great. I think it'll hold up for a couple more days depending on how warm the weather gets. Track for classic looks great.
Photos:  
(Philip Imholte)

Next Last


About Us | Advertising Information | Privacy Statement
This service provided to you according to our Visitor Agreement
Return to Top
© 2006 skinnyski.com. All Rights Reserved.